Saturday, July 7, 2012

Synesthesia in the Media- Pixar's RATATOUILLE

While browsing tumblr today my favorite Synesthesia blog had a post about a scene from Pixar's "Ratatouille" in which the star, Remy the Rat, experiences taste through colors, shapes, and sound.



When I first saw the movie I caught most of it on TV (missing some of the beginning) but when I saw this scene I jumped up exclaiming "THAT IS SYNESTHESIA RIGHT THERE!" Apart from the BBC documentary back in England I had never seen a representation of Synesthesia on television before; and it excited me. It felt like the animators were talking right to me saying "hey, we know what you guys go through, this is for you." Like a nod or private shout-out. Which might seem silly but it really meant something to me, and it helped to endear this whole movie to me (which as a movie was a LOT better than I had originally expected it to be).

No comments:

Post a Comment